What age do you need to be to rent a hotel room?
18 years old
…although it may be possible to rent a hotel room if you are younger, however there are two basic reasons for this typical age minimum.
2) Contract enforcement. Contracts signed by minors are not legally enforceable, putting the hotel at risk if underage patrons do not pay.
You must be at least 18 years of age or older. This is a guideline and not necessarily a law in all areas. See Marriott link below.
Generally you must show a valid driver’s license or valid government ID upon check in.
You will also need to provide a credit card on which the hotel may secure a deposit. Or you may be required to make a cash deposit by th ehotel.
- It may be easier to book online with a debit or credit card.
- Smaller hotels may not enforce the age rule. It seems to be a guideline not a law.
- The Marriott Hotel says there is no minimum age to check in however it advises to call the hotel you are booking at. See this page.
How to avoid age related hassles when you check into a hotel:
- Act professionally when you check in.
- Dress well and be well groomed.
- Act and speak respectfully.
- Carry and present a government-issued ID, if requested.
- Be prepared to present a credit card or a debit card.
- A hold may be placed on your credit or debit account to secure a deposit.
- You might be required to present notarized permission to travel signed by one or both of your parents if you are under 18.
- If you are younger than 18, call the hotel before your trip and discuss your situation with a front desk agent.Follow these guidelines and you will be less likely to run into any trouble checking into a hotel.